Resolution 2100 authorises MINUSMA to take any and all necessary measures to deter threats and to prevent the return of armed groups, primarily to northern Mali. A mandate was also given to take any and all necessary measures to protect civilians who were in imminent danger of being subjected to physical violence, to protect UN facilities and equipment, and to ensure freedom of movement for UN personnel.
In Resolution 2164 of June 2014, the Security Council requested that MINUSMA would expand its operations in the northern part of the country, and specifically demanded protection for women and children affected by the conflict.
The Swedish contingent of the force consists of an Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) task force, a tactical airlift detachment and a national support unit. Approximately 310 persons from Sweden are participating. The ISR force is located at Camp Nobel on the outskirts of Timbuktu but can, if necessary, conduct operations throughout Mali. The tactical airlift detachment is located at Camp Bifrost in Bamako but conducts flight operations in support of MINUSMA all over Mali.
Its mission is to support MINUSMA to achieve of the Security Council mandate by providing intelligence that can be used to make decisions within MINUSMA.
Since the spring of 2013, Swedish staff officers have been stationed at MINUSMA headquarters in Bamako, in MINUSMA’s western sector, and at the headquarters of the multinational intelligence unit, All Sources Information Fusion Unit, (ASIFU), in Bamako.
UN Security Council Resolution 2295 gives MINUSMA a mandate to carry out four prioritised tasks:
- Security, stabilisation and protection of civilians
- Support for national political dialogue and reconciliation
- Support for the re-establishment of the Malian authorities' control over its own territory and the rebuilding of the Malian security sector; promotion and support of human rights and support for humanitarian aid
- Support the parties in fulfilling the peace treaty that was signed on June 20 2015
And two additional tasks:
- Protect UN personnel
- Support the preservation of cultural values