– I feel both happy and honoured to finally be able to welcome all participants to Sweden and Halmstad, says Anders Svensson. We have been waiting for three years to carry out the championships, which were cancelled both in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic situation.
”Friendship through Sport”
WMPC 23 is arranged by Swedish Armed Force on behalf of CISM (Conseil International du Sport Militaire). CISM was founded in 1948 and is an international sports organization for the armed forces in the 140 member states. CISM main purpose is to contribute to peace through sporting exchanges between countries under the motto “Friendship through sport”.
– As one of the largest multidisciplinary sports organizations in the world, CISM, over the last 75 years, has had the honour to bring the militaries of the world together on the sports field, reinforcing its motto of “Friendship through sport”, says CISM Official Representative Colonel Nathalie Birgentzlen. This week the athletes will impress us with their demonstration of courage, precision, physical and mental agility across all five disciplines, all the while embracing the CISM values of Solidarity, Friendship, Respect, Equality, Integrity and Determination.
Competition branches close to soldiers
Military pentathlon includes the disciplines shooting, obstacle run, obstacle swim, throwing and cross-country. The championships also includes a finishing obstacle relay.
– The disciplines includes many of the basic soldier skills, says Anders Svensson. I think this is one of the best sports we can practice.
Competitors and friends
After several years of waiting and preparation the championships begins with the shooting competition during Tuesday.
– We have all missed the connection with each other, summarizes Nathalie Birgentzlen. The athletes have certainly missed the competition and the possibility to show their performance and readiness to exercise the sport that they love, but also to meet and come together. There is a competitive edge for sure, but at the same time we meet as friends.
The Halmstad Garrison, with the Organization Committee from the Air Defense Regiment at the head is more than ready to deliver.
– The pentathletes are like a family where we all are included, competitors as well as functionaries, concludes Jesper Lindberg, Sports Director. Now we just want to start and give the competitors a championship with the best competition conditions possible!