They are both very clear about the value of this exercise for The Folke Bernadotte Academy, FBA.
- This exercise is unique in its kind.
It is the largest civil-military exercise in the world, with representatives from the highest levels of different authorities. Our participation from FBA is very extensive,
the VIKING exercies are a big priority for us. Our personnel have been a part of the scenario planning process since its beginning. The mixture of all the different competences and the realistic scenario makes the exercise similar to the environment during a mission, says Jonas Alberoth.
Jonas Alberoth continues with some reflections on the relation and cooperation between civil and military authorities.
- The cooperation between military and civil organisations has not been easy to develop to what it is today. During a mission, and in a scenario like VIKING11, every organisation has their own mandate to work within. Each organisation has their own priority, but, to achieve the main goal for the mission, the cooperation between all actors must be improved. This is a constant challenge to bear in mind, from the start of a mission. The possibility of success is much higher if you begin to cooperate early on in the planning process.
Bodil Israelsson says that VIKING is becoming a more well known exercise, especially among the civilian community.
- The awareness of the VIKING concept is getting bigger by every year. The feeling of companionship between civilian and military personnel is improving for every exercise which deepens the cooperation. She also has a good reflection about the number of participating organisations during VIKING11.
- Most important is to have quality in every performance, it does not depend on how many civil organisations we can include in the exercise. Our work is to get people here that will do a good job. Quantity is not important, the quality is the most important factor, says Bodil Israelsson.
Jonas Alberoth finishes with an encouragement to all the participants.
- When we meet you for a beer after the exercise, you should act and feel like you have just come home from a real and challenging mission. Then we know our goal is achieved.