The main objectives of the exercise are:
- To protect vital society functions
- To protect the civilian population
- That Sweden will resist an armed attack
- Sweden is reinforcing its national defence capacity
- As part of the efforts to strengthen our defence, the total defence exercise is a vital stage
- The Total Defence Exercise marks the first national Total Defence Exercise since the Cold war
- The exercise will be held under the command of the Swedish Armed Forces and the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB)
- More than 60 public authorities and other key stakeholders will participate, and all municipalities and regions are invited. Volunteer Corps organizations and commercial stakeholders will also be participants
- The exercise comprises all levels of the total defence concept – central, regional and local
- The exercise consists of four exercise activities and starts in November 2019 and continues throughout 2020
During the Total Defence Exercise 2020 the participants will train how essential services and vital functions will be sustained and running during crises alert and war and how this is done in cooperation with others. They will also train civil and military chains of command at all levels and before and after crises alert. Another important part is to create situational awareness for their own organization and together with others with the aim to prioritize and allocate resources to where they are needed the most.
The exercise also consists of elements to coordinate communication to the
civilian population and to identify enemy information operations. Several parts of the exercise are conducted as seminar exercises and other as field operations.