I congratulate you on being selected to participate in the NORDEFCO Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) Planning Course 19 May – 24 May 2019. I can assure you that a well prepared and devoted team of instructors and staff with international experience is looking forward to welcome you to the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre, SWEDINT.
The DDR Planning Course requires a lot of attention. Do not bring your regular duties with you! The official language will be English, both at lectures, exercises and during social events. You must be able to communicate in English both verbally and in writing. No interpretation will be available.
Expected individual preparations prior to the DDR Planning Course
Please read these pre-course documents carefully!
- Operational Guide to the Integrated Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration Standards (IDDRS) Link to the full IDDRS – www.unddr.org
- Paris Principles and Guidelines on Children Associated with Armed forces and Groups
- Security Council Resolutions 1325, 1820, 1888 and 1889 on women, peace and security; 1308 on HIV and international peacekeeping operations
- SWARLENA exercise documents 1-6
The Course will take off from the information given in the documents on SWEDINT home page. Therefore it is essential that you are well prepared when you arrive at SWEDINT.
During the course we will have syndicate seminars to asses and support your learning.
Dress code during the course:
- For military and police personnel the national daily working uniform will be the primary dress code. For the class photograph and closing ceremony best dress uniform is required.
- For civilian course participants business casual will be the primary dress code. For the class photograph and closing ceremony jacket and tie is required.
You are also requested to bring necessary items for physical training indoors and outdoors and civilian clothes for off-duty hours and the welfare arrangements. Normally it is nice weather in May but the nights could be cold, it can also be rainy days, so please bring suitable clothes.
To ensure good course results, you are expected to take active part during the lessons and to interact with your fellow participants.
Hopefully, the DDR Planning Course will build the capacity of participants to contribute to the integrated DDR planning process within or outside the framework of peace agreements.
Welcome to the DDR Planning Course!
Major Mats Burlin
Course Director DDR Planning Course