The overall purpose of the UNSOC is to prepare nationally trained staff officers for assignments in a UN Peacekeeping Operations (PDO) Headquarter (HQ) or other UN Lead multinational HQ's conductiong PKO, predominantly on Brigade/ Sector or Division/ Force Head Quarter level.
Ranks: Capt - Col (OF2 - OF5) or Civilian equivalent.
Main focus will be on:
- Explain UN Multifunctional Peacekeeping Operations in an integrated mission concept.
- Explain and exercise co-ordination and co-operation between the different other organisations working in the conflict area within a UN HQ and sub-HQ's.
- Increase the general knowledge of the UN system, including protection of civilians, gender, code of conduct, rules of engagement, culture diversity within the framework of a UN operation.
- Introduce and conduct staff work in a UN generic integrated Mission.
- Develop and improve the individual staff work skills and his/her overall knowledge understanding of a UN mission.
- Increase the knowledge of operational, logistical and administrative principles and procedures that are used when conducting a UN Peacekeeping Operation.
- Introduce and enhance the students' knowledge and skills and use of the UN Military Component Planning Process (MCPP).
UNSOC I: 8 - 26 April 2013
UNSOC II: 23 September - 11 October 2013
EAPC ref no: SWE.2711